By Hook or By Crooke Walk – Terms of Participation
When booking a place in Hike to the Hook “By Hook or By Crooke” walk each participant is agreeing to the following terms of participation
- In these terms of participation the terms “Hike to the Hook” and “By Hook or By Crooke” are interchangeable as they refer to the 2023 event organised and run by Hook Rural Tourism Clg.
- Hike to the Hook entry fees are non-refundable except in the circumstance where the event date or time is changed by the organisers; or cancellation of the event.
- Hook Tourism reserves the right to change or reduce any of the Hike to the Hook routes at any point.
- Hook tourism reserves the right to add or amend these terms of participation at any time.
- Hook Tourism reserves the right to refuse entry if, for whatever reason, it is deemed unsafe for a participant to take part.
- Bookings for participants under the age of 18 must be completed by and with terms of participation being agreed to by a parent or guardian and where a person under the age of 18 has been booked, event organisers will assume this to be the case.
- In the event of an extreme weather warning being issued by Met Eireann, Hike to the Hook organisers will assess conditions the day before, as well as the day of the event, and decide in the interest of participants’ safety if the event should proceed.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own High Visibility apparel however Hook Tourism will endevour to have a limited number of High Vis vests available to all participants. Any participant not wearing a Hi Vis Vest, or similar, for the walk will be deemed to not be a part of the event.
- Participants are to ensure they wear suitable clothing and footwear for the event.
- By purchasing a place on the walk participants are confirming, to the best of their knowledge, that their general health and fitness is good and that they take full responsibility for themselves while taking part in the walk.
- Participants are responsible for their own medical conditions. If participants are in any doubt about their physical ability to take part in the Hike to the Hook, then they must consult their doctor prior to the event. Accompanying adults are responsible for medical conditions and physical abilities of any participants under the age of 16 who they are accompanying.
- Hook Tourism will be organising this event following best practice guidelines and health and safety standards. Participants enter the Hike to the Hook at their own risk and Hook Tourism and associated companies shall not be liable for any injury or loss to participants or their property, which may occur as a result of their participation in the Hike to the Hook event, other than where such injury or loss is a result of Hook Tourism’s negligence.
- Hike to the Hook is a non-competitive walking event and participants are encouraged not to run the route for their own safety as our risk assessment and event safety plan does not factor in runners. Anybody running the course during the event are assumed to have withdrawn their participation and Hook Tourism accepts no liability for any injury that may occur to any such person.
- Hook Tourism takes all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during the event. By taking part in this event, all participants acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond the control of Hook Tourism that can lead to unforeseen risks. If you have any concerns or queries, please contact us before agreeing to take part in this event.
- In the case of an emergency, Hook Tourism may pass personal details provided by each participant
to the emergency services, health care professionals, and for the purposes of contacting individuals’ emergency contact.
- Participants are asked to respect the fact that the walk is being held in a public place and on public
roads and footpaths. Members of the public will also be using the route and respect is to be given to them at all times.
- Participants should follow the rules of the road at all times while waling on roads and should use any footpaths where available to ensure safety for them and others.
- Hike to the Hook is a non-spectator event. All spectators at the Hike to the Hook events do so entirely at their own risk and Hook Tourism shall not be liable for any injury or loss that might occur as a result of their attendance, other than where such injury or loss is a result of Hook Tourism’s negligence.
- Spectators are not permitted to walk the route with participants. Everyone taking part in Hike to the Hook must be a registered participant.
- Registration must be done at one of the three registration points or via an online form on the day.
- Hook Tourism reserves the right to change or reduce any of the Hike to the Hook routes at any point before Hook Tourism reserves the right to refuse entry if, for whatever reason, it is deemed unsafe for the participant to take part.
- Hook Tourism operates a no smoking policy at events, and respectfully asks all participants along with their supporters to refrain from smoking at the event.
- We ask all participants to follow “leave no trace” guidelines regarding the disposal of litter. Either by bringing it home with them or disposing of it at either aid station or in a public bin.
- By providing personal data when you book your place in Hike to the Hook, you confirm that you consent to such data being used by us for the purpose of organising, staging and administering the event. If you provide personal data on behalf of additional participants, you also confirm that you have obtained their consent for such data to be used for the same purposes.
- In the case of an emergency, we may also pass personal details provided to the emergency services and healthcare professionals, and also use them for the purpose of contacting your emergency contact.
- By taking part, all participants confirm that they are happy for their names and any footage or photographs taken during their participation in the Hike to the Hook event to be used to promote, but not limited to, Hook Tourism, the Hook peninsula and Hike to the Hook, including television broadcasts, publications, marketing material and other documents that may be made available to the public.
- No photographs of children will be taken without written consent of a parent or guardian aged over 18. Subject to this rule, by registering a participant under the age of 18 you or the participant’s parent/legal guardian (as applicable) are happy for their images to be used as described above.
- Hook Tourism will not share your personal data with third parties, except where already identified in these terms of participation.